Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe

After coming back from the Caribbeans, my husband and I craved some of the island food- specifically their curry chicken. So I looked up some recipes and combined 2 different recipes together and it came out beautifully. Now this is one of my husband's favorite dishes! Hope you guys will enjoy it too :)

Here are the Ingredients:

4 skinless chicken breast cubed
2-3 potatoes (depends on how much you would like) peeled and cubed
3 stalk scallions chopped
1 onion chopped (half of onion for seasoning and other half used for frying)
3 cloves garlic ( you may add less if you prefer, I like the addition of extra garlic)
3 tablespoons curry powder (preferably Jamaican)
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of chili pepper (optional)
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk (optional- you may use an extra cup of water instead)

1. Wash and chop the chicken into small cubes.
     Chop scallions, onions, and garlic



2. Season the chicken with the above ingredients, apart from the potatoes, water, and coconut milk. Refrigerate chicken for about half an hour so it can be marinated with the seasonings.



3. In a large pot or frying pan, heat oil over medium-high.Working in two batches (if needed), brown chicken about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.



4. Reduce heat to medium. Add the other half of onion a little bit of curry, salt,thyme, 1/2 cup of water and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened.

5. Add the potatoes, cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, and chicken with its accumulated juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover partially, and cook until the sauce has a thick consistency. Remove from heat and serve with rice!





This time I added extra water so the sauce won't be as thick and it still tasted quite delicious. Here's a pic of that.



Don't be afraid to taste the sauce once in a while to see if it needs anymore spices. Some people like less and some like more. It's all about your preference. I hope you guys enjoyed this recipe and hope it was easy to follow. Bon Appetit!

12 comments:

  1. I just finished making this dish and I must say, the combinations you used were remarkable! I can't believe how great the chicken came out. I usually don't like spices, but my husband loves them, so I occasionally spice things up for him :) But this dish just had a perfect combination of spicey and sweet (from the coconut milk) and it just made my taste buds go WILD! Definitely a must-try dish again and again and againn :) Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome recipe I must say just made it for my family and added a few extras as we like it spicy but it was great!!! Thank You...Very easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I payed close attention and followed the recipe to a T. And I must say it was delicious! It took me three hours but that's because I can't cook to save my life, that is until tonight! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome looking recipe, it's similar to my normal version, but has some awesome variations, I will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I am so happy you found this helpful and easy to follow. Once I get some more free time I will definitely be posting more recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful. Can’t wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an easy recipe. However, it does not taste like jamaican curry chicken. Its definitely good though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gonna make this tonight for the first time, I really hope my family likes it. I will let yoy know how I did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It became a family staple in my house! Hope yours will enjoy it as much!

      Delete
  9. I'm trying this tonight I'll let you know how my family loves it 😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's absolutely delicious I just added a tablespoon more of the curry 😋

    ReplyDelete